This part of my blog is all about the things I collect or the things I make myself. I love so many things, I paint and draw and want to learn oils and pastels. I knit and crochet but want to learn tatting. I embroider and can turn my hand to most things given a chance. So much still to learn and do. I live in hope of some day reading all my books, learning all I want to learn and now I am learning to blog. You will often find my original poems, poor as they are I offer them here. I also appreciate other people art and will feature things I find that I have enjoyed. That includes pictures of fairies and fantasy or maybe just anything beautiful.
I try to use my own photo's as much as possible, sometimes I borrow from the web. If I inadvertently use your picture without giving credit, please do let me know and I will either credit or remove it, I hope you will do the same with mine.
If you wish to leave comments on my blog you can do that by joining google if you do not have a blog yourself, please comment if you can I appreciate that.


Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Potato Soup..........

I have been looking through Pinterest for recipes. Remember no beef or pork for us now. So what to do with chicken and veggies. Well. I did find some great looking ideas for Chinese dishes to use with chicken. Today I decided I would try a Potato soup recipe that looked good.
The recipe can be found here
I printed that out and followed the instructions. I did not have any celary. I didn't have Cajun seasoning so used "Blackened" seasoning because it had the same ingredients in it. I was about to make my own but it would have made a jar full and I don't use it usually so.........went with the blackened seasoning.
These are the ingredients
6 slices Thin Bacon, Cut Into 1-inch Pieces
1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
3 whole Carrots, Scrubbed Clean And Diced
3 stalks Celery, Diced
6 whole Small Russet Potatoes, Peeled And Diced
8 cups Low Sodium Chicken Or Vegetable Broth
3 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1/2 teaspoon Salt, More To Taste
Black Pepper To Taste
1/2 teaspoon Cajun Spice Mix
1 teaspoon Minced Fresh Parsley
1 cup Grated Cheese Of Your Choice
Well as I can not have pork, I for the first time tried turkey bacon. It sounds horrible but was not that bad. I put it in the food processor and it now looks like Bacon bits that you buy in a jar. I froze what I didn't use. Now if it were regular bacon I would have cut it in chunks and loved that but, this gave it a good taste.
 photo 103_2775_zpsxceccarz.jpg
It really did not taste as bad as I thought it would. I would not want to eat it for bacon/breakfast but that will go good in scrambled eggs in the mornings.
So having cut up (diced) the veggies and followed instructions it came out looking like this.
 photo 103_2776_zpsambkclzs.jpg
Pretty good so far. I added a little more salt and seasoning and I think it tasted rather good. So I then let it simmer and made my Tortilla chips.
 photo 103_2774_zpsjcx3trt6.jpg
Those are very easy. You cut up a bunch of wraps (I didn't have corn) and brush them lightly with olive oil and dust with sea salt. Bake at 350 till golden, about 10 to 12 minutes or more. My friend Donna does this with Pita pockets and I love those. I think next time I will use regular salt. Otherwise they are really good.
They went well with the soup.
I topped the soup with the bacon bits and grated cheese with the Tortillas on the side.
 photo 103_2777_zpswg8vz3jj.jpg
It was very good and I will make that one again.
 photo 103_2778k_zpsh2sybni6.jpg
I do love a good soup or stew in the winter months.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! I love soup or stew at this time of the year too! Thanks Janice!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment I love to hear from you