This part of my blog is all about the things I collect or the things I make myself. I love so many things, I paint and draw and want to learn oils and pastels. I knit and crochet but want to learn tatting. I embroider and can turn my hand to most things given a chance. So much still to learn and do. I live in hope of some day reading all my books, learning all I want to learn and now I am learning to blog. You will often find my original poems, poor as they are I offer them here. I also appreciate other people art and will feature things I find that I have enjoyed. That includes pictures of fairies and fantasy or maybe just anything beautiful.
I try to use my own photo's as much as possible, sometimes I borrow from the web. If I inadvertently use your picture without giving credit, please do let me know and I will either credit or remove it, I hope you will do the same with mine.
If you wish to leave comments on my blog you can do that by joining google if you do not have a blog yourself, please comment if you can I appreciate that.


Sunday, January 19, 2014

In the kitchen.............

Well, I have to get into the kitchen more often. I enjoy it but not often haha. No really I do like to cook. I guess its just that coming up with a meal every night, you know how that goes. Do you sometimes wish that someone else would say "hey, why don't we have so and so tonight?" ..........would be nice not to have to think about it. After all, if you actually get out there and bake you dust off the flour and wipe the brow you go sit down and the hubby pipes up "what's for supper" ........don't ya just want to scream "GO FIX SOMETHING"
Maybe its just me. Anyway today I made some breakfast bars for Tristen, and some chocolate crispie treats for Gerry. He likes his sweets. I want to get around to making bread and pie crusts. Right now I am working on depleting the supplies in the baking cupboards. So that was my projects today.
First off I made another batch of Salsa. OMG I read about using canned tomatoes instead of fresh and I wanted to know if it would be any good. So that was first. The recipe said leave the seeds in the jalapeno peppers. I did..........whoooooaaa !!!!! talk about hot. My lips felt they were blistered.
I added another can of tomatoes.
 photo 0fb36c10-e1eb-4f41-bdc2-4158874f36ea_zps3fe8ab4a.jpg
After that came the breakfast bars.
These are so easy.........4 cups of instant oatmeal, 2 cups of rice crispies. 1 stick of butter, 1/2 cup of honey, 2/3 cup of brown sugar.1/3 cup of choc chips.
To this I add nuts and fruit but that is not in the recipe. All you do is put the dry goods into a big mixing bowl. In a saucepan you melt together the butter and honey and sugar. Bring it to a bubble boil and simmer 2 mins............pour this over the dry stuff and mix. Turn out onto a cookie sheet lined with wax paper, grease it with butter it makes it easier to turn out after.
So now you have it on the cookie sheet flatten it and score it into bars and put it in the fridge to set up.
 photo 06cd5fea-1971-4d85-b3ba-1b49f595f3c8_zpse7387f5b.jpg
The rice crispy treats are even easier.
3 cups of chocolate chips. 6 or 7 cups of rice crispies. Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave (be sure to stir every couple of minutes) mix together in a large bowl and put onto waxed paper to set.
 photo 38317463-6472-4a82-b28f-8f9925fc1b76_zpscd8813b0.jpg
These naturally are favourites of Tristen and Gerry and Dan says he loves them too. Give me the salsa and chips, I prefer savory to sweet. That salsa is dang hot though.
One of Tristen favourite meals is tacos in wraps. I have to make his special. I put the meat in a wrap with a lot of cheese and leave out the salad stuff and sauces and I give him sour cream to dip.
 photo 2d93cd92-387d-4f51-a86b-fd8fedb44518_zpsb77c9282.jpg
Do you think he enjoys them?
If you want any details on any details on any of these things either contact via email or leave a note on here. I will be glad to give you the original recipe.
I am linking with I should be mopping the floor

4 comments:

  1. Everything looks so good! I would eat it all! LOL! I have to admit, I don't think I could take the salsa that hot! My brother could though ;o) I have to be careful with spicey things, after what happened to me. Love the pictures ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to spend time in the kitchen -- perhaps because it is so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful all of your food looks! And that happy look on your little one's face is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my Roman Baths in Bath, England post! Your comment sounded like poetry. Kind of dreamy!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment I love to hear from you